Skip to main content

Cleaning up Legacy using reports!

Last week I had a request for some information on my Hunter line to help a cousin with some researching.  I was so excited I had someone else interested in my Hunters!  I quickly went in to Legacy and put together a descendant report for William Wallace Hunter {my 3rd great grandfather}.



I thought, how hard can it be to create a descendant report for William?  I went to the Report Menu and in the pop up window selected Descendant but when I previewed it it only gave names and birth and death dates.  This was not what I wanted.  After playing around I found that I had to go to the Books tab (see image below) and select the Descendant Narrative.


In the next window there were a lot of options to choose from.  After selecting and deselecting options and previewing I came to a report that I liked {and I saved my report layout for next time..yay!}. I skimmed through the report and then emailed it off.  A day or two later I wanted to look something up in the report that I had created and once I stated looking mistakes started jumping out all over the place.  I ended up printing all 30 pages minus the citations and started going through each person listed and making corrections.  The image below shows the 1900 Census twice for George Hunter.  A lot of them had a census in the report twice because they had two events for the same census because I had created an individual census event and then ended up sharing another census event for the same census from another person.  What a mess...but it is all fixed now! {at least for these people}


It took me a few days to get through the whole report {I was off work sick so this gave me something to do}.

My tip to you all is to print out your reports even if you don't need a printed copy and take some time and go through it.  I was surprised at all the mistakes and duplicate information that I found.  It did take a few days working on it a few hours each day but it was worth it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

US Marine Casualty Cards

Earlier this week I got my copy of Family Tree Magazine and I was reading an article that led me to  World War II History Network  and from there I found a link to an article about the United States Marine Corp making their casualty cards searchable.  You can find the database at  Casualty Cards Database. Fred Thomas, my husbands great uncle, was in WWII and in the Marines.  I searched the database and found : On the first page it states :  While the cards for World War II through Korea are not classified, however, they can often be very graphic.    Therefore, to maintain the dignity and honor of the Marines, the individual cards will only be released, upon request, on a case by case basis.    To request a card, please send an email to   history.division@usmc.mil   or a request in writting to: United States Marine Corps History Division Attn: Reference Branch 3078 Upshur Avenue Quantico, Virginia 22134 .    I immediately sent an email {about 12:30 am because

Marine Casualty Card Database

While I was writing Top 10 Blog Posts for 2019 I discovered that my top post was US Marine Casualty Cards from 2014.  Wow!  {There is also an update to the original post here  where I show some more information that was sent to me.}  I went back to read the post and discovered that the links no longer work.  I did a little digging and found a link to the Casualty Card Database at the Marine Corps University website.  At this site you click on the war you want to search and download a searchable spreadsheet.  Once you locate your Marine you send an email to request the card.  There are also links to download information about what the codes mean on the cards. I also found that you can search the U.S. Marine Corps Casualty Index, 1940-1958 , at Ancestry.com.  It gives the casualty date, type, unit, and service number.  There is a link to go to another website from the Ancestry database but that link does not work. {I believe it is the same as the link from my original post

Evernote To Do List Update

Last month I started keeping track of my to do list in Evernote using TaskClone.  It worked great and with a few minor adjustments this moth has been going even better. One of my concerns was that My Task List note in Evernote was going to get very long and hard to navigate if I kept adding to the bottom of the list.  At the end of June I made a copy of the note and renamed it to z -- My Task List -- 26 June 2015 and moved it to my Research notebook. Now that I had a copy of My Task List note I reviewed my original note and realized that I did not need to use date headings and removed them and all completed tasks.  I saw that most of my to dos were topic related mostly by surname.  With a little rearranging I came up with my new to do list for the month of July.  As I add more notes TaskClone pulls the to dos and adds them to the bottom of the list.  I cut and paste them in the correct area. At the end of the month I will make a copy of the note, rename it (following t