On Saturday March 22, 2014 Randy Seaver from Genea-Musings posted Saturday Night Genealogy Fun -- How Many Surnames in Your Database.
1) Go into your Genealogy Management Program (GMP; either software on your computer, or an online family tree) and figure out how to Count how many surnames you have in your family tree database.
2) Tell us which GMP you're using and how you did this task.
3) Tell us how many surnames are in your database and, if possible, which Surname has the most entries. If this excites you, tell us which surnames are in the top 5! Or 10!! Or 20!!!
4) Write about it in your own blog post, in a comment to this blog post, in a status or comment on Facebook, or in Google Plus Stream post.
This is one of my favorites; I like looking at statistics about my database. I use Legacy 8 and there is a new button that says statistics and gives you a lot of great information about your database.
Clicking on the Statistics Report brings up the Family File Statistics window:
This tells me:
- total number of individuals is 2876
- total number of unique surnames is 608
- top 10 most popular surnames are:
- Siegfried -- 195
- Masteller -- 164
- Unknown -- 87
- Kinley -- 82
- Hunter -- 70
- Thomas -- 68
- Everitt -- 67
- Wenner -- 66
- Savage -- 47
- Hartman -- 43
5. top 10 most popular given names are:
- Elizabeth -- 45
- John -- 42
- Unknown -- 41
- Catherine --36
- Daniel -- 32
- Mary -- 30
- Henry -- 29
- Sarah -- 27
- Jacob -- 26
- William -- 25
I really thought there were more people in my database than that. As you can see I have a LONG ways to go!
If you have been following blog you know I have fallen off the wagon with 52 posts in 52 weeks. I will update with a new post shortly. I am just going to pick up where I left off and will hopefully catch up with an extra post some weeks.